Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Talofa Lava!

January 17, 2011

Talofa Lava!!! Hey everybody!!! How’s everything?? Sounds like everything is great!!! Hopefully it continues that way! Anyway what’s new and happening? How bad did Utah lose to BYU at bball? I bet so ha ha!! Anyway just keep me updated when possible. I love the news!!!

This past week has been pretty slow actually, but we still got a lot of work done!!! We went "knocking doors" or tala'i tuitui as they call it because we don't really knock ha ha! But ya anyway it was great we just went down this street which started at our fafaga and worked down to the faleasi'u chapel stopping at every fale (house) we saw whether we knew they were members or not!! It was good and I got some more practice in with the language and slowly progressing in that aspect. It’s coming slowly and I know that as I continue trying and working at it will come. I love it though, it is fun and way exciting!! But back to proselyting; we did that two days on two different streets. It is a good opportunity to not only let people know we are there and trying to work and get to as many houses as possible, but also that we just want to know as many people as possible!! As the speech says when you go up to the house "e talatalanoa ma faamasani ona" (converse and make familiar) with other things. It’s great and many people let us in and as we talked they gave us fala or offered us water. Such nice people!! Others were busy but they said come back another time (they all say that but oh well) so we said we would!!
The other road we went on was the one behind the chapel in lemoli lua (2nd) I am pretty sure. We started at a lady's house where we were teaching her husband’s younger brother and when we got there they said he was gone to town. So we saw the lady and asked her how she was and she teared up and started to shake and said "Manuia" (good) but not very sounding like she was good. My comp started to talk to her and we found out her husband had just died like two weeks ago!! What a surprise to us and was buried two Saturdays ago. She had wanted to prepare to marry in the temple and things were going well then came the unexpected!! It was so sad, but my comp explained the ordinance can still happen if she is faithful and obedient, so she said she would come to church and keep working towards that. That was good to hear!! Then we just continued down the street till it started to rain and we headed back to the house to get picked up by the zls!!

That night was really cool because in Lepale I got to watch a mock sort of ceremony of some aganuu (culture) and it was crazy!!! The young men and women did it while the elders watched. Some parts were funny while they were done by the younger generation but it was still cool and way exciting to watch!! The language was different in the way that they were using matai (high chief) words or more respectful words during the ceremony. It was way fun though and I liked it!! I’ll have to send some pix when I get on next time.
We didn't have a chance with Fesola'i and Maria Moega this week again but they are ready as soon as Fesola'i's family goes home and they are free. It’s just we want to keep visiting them and keep them strong!!! Oh some good news is a guy we are teaching came to church, his name is Nu'utele and he is struggling with some of the word of wisdom (o le upu o le poto), but he is getting better and then he came to church again!!! I know he is a good guy and will be a faithful member!!!

The work is going great!!! I am excited as I am understanding more and more with the language and speaking more with the help of my soa and my zone. All the people here are so great!! Oh the whole goal for reading BOM in Samoan is being continued through next month, as I am realizing how long it takes to read out loud so hopefully by the end of February (fepuali) but I still will get it hopefully!!! I know this church is true and the only one on the face of the earth!!! I know it is led by a living prophet Peresitene Monson who receives revelation for us in our day!!! I know Joseph Smith is a prophet and restored the church!!! I know he translated the book of Mormon which is the word of God!!! I know Jesus is the Christ!!! I know He loved us and still loves us through performing the Atonement!!! I love Him!! I love you all!! oute alofa ia te outou!!!! keep strong!!!! thanks for everything (faafetai mo mea uma)
Alofa
Elder Cody John Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment